In this video I explain the minecraft fishing mechanics for minecraft 1.10 and up, and I also showcase a fishing strategy for getting loot faster while fishing. Unfortunately, this faster strategy cannot be applied in AFK fish farms and it takes a lot more focus than regular fishing.
Prototech Discord: https://discord.gg/0wektcYunfBUFmY8
'B.O.T. [Brain Overload Trance]' by Meri the LapisDemon http://youtube.com/LapisDemon
Audio license: http://pastebin.com/UyTZ7MUF
Summary of facts:
The time you spend waiting for fish has two stages: the bobbing stage, where the fish hook is just bobbing in the water, and the approach stage, where you can see a fish approaching the hook.
The duration of the bobbing stage is a random number between 100 and 600 from which 100 times your lure level is subtracted. If the number is negative, the game cancels the fishing and retries on the next game tick. The duration of the approach stage is a random number between 20 and 80.
If the block above the fish hook has sky access and it is not raining, the delay reduces by 1 each game tick. If it has sky access and it is raining, then the delay reduces by 2 with probability 25% and 1 with probability 75% each game tick. If it does not have sky access, then the delay reduces by 1 with probability 50% and 0 with probability 50% each game tick.
The fast fishing strategy used in the experiments recast the fish hook any time you do not see at least one splash particle spawned within 4 game ticks after the hook hits the water.